Saturday, September 17, 2022

My Roommate Is Neglecting His Dog. What Should I Do?

She's not housebroken.

My roommate and I have lived together for some years. We are not close but get along well. He mainly keeps to himself, sleeping most of the day and staying up at night. He is very well off and enjoys many luxuries but has long struggled with depression.

A few years ago, he decided to get a dog, for company and emotional support. He has held on to a high-paying job, and so I thought he would do a good job taking care of the dog. But he never trained her: She isn't housebroken, she often bit us while young and she cannot be left unsupervised. Worse, I believe he is neglecting the dog, out of an inability or lack of desire to change his lifestyle. He takes her out only about twice a day, the first time when he wakes up, usually between noon and 2 p.m. He never takes the dog for walks, only out to relieve herself, which takes about five to 10 minutes. (This breed of dog requires an hour of exercise per day, I've read.) He also keeps the dog in his bedroom with him most of the day, evidently because she is not housebroken enough to roam the apartment. When I've taken care of the dog while he is on vacation, I've put her on a more normal schedule of walks and regular pee breaks. During those periods, she has been very well behaved and able to roam the place.

ADVERTISEMENT

I have never confronted my roommate about this. But I've made many suggestions, including that he get a dog walker or dog day care (which he could easily afford); I've commented on how her behavior changes, and how she enjoys her walks, when I take care of her. I worry that confronting him will ruin our relationship, but I am saddened every day about the dog's treatment.

Subscribe Today

We hope you've enjoyed this newsletter, which is made possible through subscriber support. Subscribe to The New York Times with this special offer.

ADVERTISEMENT

MORE FROM THE MAGAZINE

Article Image

Chris Simpson for The New York Times. Food stylist: Maggie Ruggiero. Prop stylist: Sophia Pappas.

Eat

How to Make the Best Miso Soup of Your Life

Secrets from a chef who has a lifetime of experience with the dish.

By Eric Kim

Article Image

Illustration by Raisa Álava

Letter of Recommendation

How Music Loops Help Me Feel More Present

Loops open a dimension where, although time is ticking forward at its usual pace, I'm moving at my own speed, appreciating my body and the world around me.

By Miguel Otárola

Article Image

Photo illustration by Geoff Kim

Screenland

Why Can't I Stop Watching This Cute Video About Animal Motherhood?

I know I shouldn't be taken in. But then again, the way that sloth hugs her baby …

By Meaghan O'Connell

Article Image

Illustration by Louise Zergaeng Pomeroy

Judge John Hodgman on 'Donny' the Dog

Friends can't help associating his name with the former president's.

Article Image

Illustration by R.O. Blechman

Poem: [Suppose my father awoke … ]

This poem begins with "suppose," which unleashes a speculative imagination through which the speaker reawakens a dead father.

By Muriel Leung and Victoria Chang

Stay in touch:

Follow us on Twitter (@NYTmag) or check us out on Instagram.

Appreciated this email? Forward it to a friend and help us grow.

Loved a story? Hated it? Write us a letter at magazine@nytimes.com.

Did a friend forward this to you? Sign up here to get the magazine newsletter.

Listen to narrated versions of our articles every week. Download Audm for iPhone or Android.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for The New York Times Magazine from The New York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe or manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

twitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment