Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Opinion Today: What it’s like to learn you’re going to live longer than expected

For some cystic fibrosis patients, that's now a reality.
Author Headshot

By Alexandra Sifferlin

Senior Staff Editor, Opinion

If you didn't think you would live beyond your 20th birthday, how would you organize your life? Until relatively recently, that was the question for many people born with cystic fibrosis. But that's changed for many in the patient community thanks to a new treatment, which has greatly increased life expectancy.

Daniela Lamas, a critical care physician and Times Opinion contributing writer, explores this fascinating phenomenon in a guest essay this week. She spoke to people with cystic fibrosis as well as experts in the field about this "staggering scientific advance" that has brought new hope to many with the disorder, as well as existential questions.

With a longer life ahead, some people with cystic fibrosis are considering having children, or thinking about longer term financial planning. One woman told Lamas that she started wearing sunscreen, "thinking that perhaps she would live long enough for sun damage to matter after all."

It's a remarkable and challenging moment for this particular patient group — not everyone can benefit from the drug, called Trikafta, especially those who have already undergone a lung transplant. But as Lamas reports, scientific progress could mean other diseases begin to turn from terminal toward chronic.

What Our Readers Are Saying

My daughter will marry her boyfriend in June, in part thanks to this miraculous leap. It's hard to take it in, it's so far beyond any expectation. The fact that they can see a life, a family, ahead, and that there are days when I just take that for granted … tears. — Heidi, Massachusetts

I understand the tone of this article. My daughter is 27. She has CF. I won't speak for her. But as her mother, I know that I am having to rethink how I relate to someone I care about whose expectations of the future have been dramatically altered in a short time. I know what it's like to navigate what others now expect of her now that a so-called miracle drug is giving her a shot at a longer life.

Trikafta is not a cure. It helps a lot but doesn't fix every problem that CF causes. The disease is very complicated and damages more than one's lungs. If you or a loved one has it, you know that I'm referring to even more than the patient's physical health. Our society places far too much on the psyche of patients who deal with terrible diseases like CF. They not only have to suffer but they also have to be brave, noble warriors.

What then when the war is over and you've won? I appreciate the author for bringing this subject to New York Times readers. — Amy, Dallas

In 1993, my partner was diagnosed with AIDS and I learned I was H.I.V. positive. I was told I had three years to live. We spent a lot of money that I had saved from my career as a lawyer. He died in 1995. I assumed that I was soon to follow. However, in 1996, a new class of drugs (protease inhibitors) was released, and people with H.I.V. stopped dying. My doctor told me, after a year on the new medication, "Well, looks like you're going to be around for a while." Talk about being bewildered! I went back to school and changed careers. It's been 30 years now … and I refer to that time as my "first life." As I approach age 70, I'm in good health and so are my finances. Thankfully. I learned many things from my first life, and one of them was to live fully, in the moment, because life is a crapshoot. Some win, and some (like my partner, who wasn't able to hold on for those new drugs) lose. — J.C., Rancho Mirage, Calif.

Head to the comments section to read more and join the conversation. You can read the full essay here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Here's what we're focusing on today:

More From Opinion

BRET STEPHENS

How Earthquakes Test Our Souls and Our Governments

What I lived through as a boy in Mexico City and what it could foretell for Turkey and Syria.

By Bret Stephens

Article Image

LYDIA POLGREEN

The World's Biggest Democracy Is Jettisoning Freedom and Tolerance

The soul of a majestic nation is at stake.

By Lydia Polgreen

Article Image

GUEST ESSAY

Meet the People Working on Getting Us to Hate Each Other Less

As the threat to democratic norms and procedures mount, there has been an explosion of research aimed at lowering the political temperature.

By Thomas B. Edsall

Article Image

PAUL KRUGMAN

Regulation, Productivity and the Meaning of Life

Safety and environmental rules may reduce gross domestic product. But maybe that's OK.

By Paul Krugman

Article Image

GUEST ESSAY

Madonna's New Face Is a Brilliant Provocation

Some fans cheered, others scowled, but the queen of reinvention may have laughed last.

By Jennifer Weiner

Article Image

GUEST ESSAY

Germany Has a Problem

A reckoning with the far right is long overdue.

By Lukas Hermsmeier

Article Image

JESSICA GROSE

Would You Have Four Kids if It Meant Never Paying Taxes Again?

Countries around the world are trying to raise fertility rates. Will anything work?

By Jessica Grose

Article Image

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Subscribe Today

New York Times Opinion curates a wide range of views, inviting rich discussion and debate that help readers analyze the world. This work is made possible with the support of subscribers. Please consider subscribing to The Times with this special offer.

Games Here is today's Mini Crossword, Wordle and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ad

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Opinion Today, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, manage your email preferences.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment